Mini Apple Cheesecakes

3_apple_cheesecake

If I was the kind of person that wrote painfully descriptive Facebook posts about mundane daily details, I would have definitely written one yesterday.  It would have gone a little something like this:  “C was up crying every hour or so last night with some unknown toddler ailment that could only be relieved by mommy’s arms.  7 a.m. came way too early and it was raining, so naturally I really wanted to stay in bed and skip preschool altogether.  But then I remembered that the kids were having a Halloween costume parade, I was responsible for the classroom craft, AND I had to bring mini apple cheesecakes for the parent potluck.  We made it to school and then I realized my kid had a strange looking rash (insert mom guilt for not being more sympathetic during the sleepless night).  Oh, and we forgot our sharing.  Ugh!”

But if I posted that, maybe 20% of my Facebook friends would relate and the other 80% would just think to themselves that I’ve lost my mind.  Which wouldn’t be too far from the truth… losing your mind seems to be a very real symptom of parenting a 2 year old.  But the good news in all this is that there is cheesecake!  Mini Apple Cheesecakes to be exact… with caramel sauce and cinnamon whipped cream on top if you use your manners and say “please”.

Like many recipes I make, original inspiration came from a fellow blogger.  I just altered the recipe to make it preschool potluck friendly by removing the nuts and baking them in individual portions for easy serving. All reviews seemed to point to positive and I thought they were delicious. Definitely a perfect addition to an autumn dessert table.  I’m thinking about making them again for Thanksgiving.  Enjoy!

1_apple_cheesecake

2_apple_cheesecake

Mini Apple Cheesecakes

yield: 21 mini cheesecakes

Apple Topping:

4 large Granny Smith apples,peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/3″ slices
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Crust:

2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

Cheesecake Filling:

3 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs, room temperature

Optional for Serving:

caramel sauce
cinnamon whipped cream

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Prepare 2 cupcake pans by lining 21 wells with grease proof cupcake liners. Set aside.
  • Place all of the ingredients for the apple topping into a large saucepan or skillet.  Cook over medium heat until the apples begin to soften (about 10 min for me).  Set aside and cool completely.
  • Combine all crust ingredients in a medium bowl and stir with a fork until all of the crumbs are moistened.
  • Divide the crust mixture evenly among the 21 cupcake liners (about 2 Tbsp each) and press down on each of them with your fingers to form an even layer.
  • Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes or until you just start to notice browning along the edges.
  • Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees after you remove the crusts.
  • Place the softened cream cheese into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix quickly on low until creamy.
  • Add the vanilla and brown sugar (break up any lumps before it goes into the bowl). Mix on low until combined.
  • Beat in the eggs one at a time, stopping to scrape down the bowl after each addition.
  • Divide the filling evenly among your 21 prepared crusts.
  • Place 3-4 of your cooled apple slices in a fan pattern on top of each cheesecake.
  • Bake in a 300 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the edges are set.
  • Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Then chill in the fridge overnight before serving.
  • To serve, remove the cupcake liners and plate with caramel sauce and cinnamon whipped cream.

Adapted from Live… Bake… Love. Check out their great tips for successful cheesecake baking.

 

Comments

  1. What a great adaptation! These look awesome and I love that they’re in mini form. Thanks for linking back :)

Share Your Thoughts

*