Custom printable banners are adorable all on their own, but adding a little crepe paper fringe at the bottom makes them pop just a little more. Cheap and easy are also great characteristics of this worthwhile embellishment. In fact, it’s so easy that I hope I’m not insulting you by documenting the process in a tutorial. You can use this method with any of our printable banners… I’d just recommend extending the length by an inch or so when cutting the banner tiles out. I can also extend the tile for you if you’re ordering a custom design. If you’re anxious to start blinging out banner tiles right this minute, the Halloween design pictured below is available as a free printable here.
Crepe Paper Fringe for Printable Banners
– printable banner w/ square tiles (print & cut)
– crepe paper (one or multiple colors that compliment your banner)
– double stick tape
– fringe scissors (optional)
- 1. Measure and cut 2 or 3 lengths of crepe paper to fit the width of your banner. My banners are typically 5″ wide.
- 2. Use scissors (fringe or regular) to cut slits into the first length of crepe paper, stopping 1/3 inch from the top on each cut.
- 3. Repeat step 2 with each length of crepe paper you’re using.
- 4. Attach your first length of crepe paper to the banner tile about 1/2″ from the bottom of the tile using a couple pieces of double stick tape on the uncut portion of your crepe paper.
- 5. Attach your second length of crepe paper to the banner tile about 1″ from the bottom of the tile in the same manner. Trim any extra crepe paper that hangs over the side of the tile.
- 6. Repeat steps 1-5 for each of your banner tiles and then assemble the banner according to the provided instructions.
Here is another banner that I embellished with crepe paper fringe. This time I used 2 colors of crepe paper and added a 3rd layer of fringe. Use my basic method and get creative!